24P on the DVX100A vs. the Canon XL2

Dashiell69

Can anyone tell me if the Canon XL2 is comparable to the Panasonic DVX100A where 24P is concerened? I'll be shooting in 16 x9. I worked on a film shot on the DVX100A and it was by far the closest I've seen DV get to a film look. Trouble is, I have access to an XL2 for free! Anybody have any thoughts/experiences? If I shot on the XL2 without using the 24p feature and then added a film look in post, could that be comparable to the DVX100A?

I haven't actually compared the two images, but I'm in the middle of ACing on a shoot where the DP is using both a DVX and an XL2, so I'd imagine they'd be pretty close. Some advantages to the XL2 are that it's native 16:9 (the DVX only has the squeeze mode), and you can put other lenses on it. If you could get a hold of a good set of primes, or at the very least, a zoom with REAL zoom, focus, and iris control, you'd be set. The DVX does have a mechanical zoom ring, but it still has a servo focus, which I find to be quite annoying.

You'd have a hard time telling which is which. They both do 24p, just different ways and compared, both are indistinguishable.

I own an XL-2, and the school I work with has both a DVX100A and a HVX200. The XL-2 totally blows the DVX out of the water in my opinion. No comparison. And when set up correctly (and barring the SD/HD quality difference) the XL-2 stands up well against even the HVX. The problem, as most XL-2 owners can tell you, is getting it set up correctly. It's not an out of the box, point and shoot camera.

What I do love most about the XL-2 is the lens. You can't beat the 20x optical zoom. I shot a rock concert for some friends from the back of the room, and I could zoom all the way up on the guitarists fingernails practically. The longer lens also helps get a more cinematic shallow depth of field that I haven't been able to re-create on the wider lensed Panasonic cameras.

Either way though, the Panasonic/Canon debate is like the Mac/PC debate. Both are just tools in the hand of the artist.

DVX100 and XL2

DVX100 and XL2

DanDan,

I work with John Klein, producer in Chicago, and he used (2) DVX100 and (1) XL2 in 24P to shoot a movie last month. Contact him at www.windycitycamera.com and he can send you a copy of the DVD.

We are shooting "Glass City" in Toledo this summer with this equipment.

Trig

Network Sponsors

Back