Canon XL2 Film Look

How is that camera working for you

How is that camera working for you

How is that canon working for you? I am thinking about getting a small camera for the studentfilmmakers magazine to use for online stuff and i am wondering what the best one to get is. Should i go with the Panasonic, Canon, Sony, JVC ... I have a credit card which i probably should not use but i just feel the need to have a camera for shooting an unkown project.

I absolutely LOVE my XL2, it has all the settings I need to try and give me the "film look". If you want to go mini DV, go with the XL2 without a doubt. If you are wanting to go high definition, you might want to consider an XL H1, or the Panasonic DVX 1000A, or I forget the model, but the one that uses P2 cards. I've shot a little bit with that one, but it had a P+S technic adapter on it, and a 22mm or 18mm Arri PL lens. It gave a really good DOF, but that will cost an arm and a leg to buy. If you wanted to go all out and have the best camera ever; buy a RED ONE with a crooke prime lens set. I worked on two commercials which were shot on a RED, it was AMAZING. Honestly I fell in love with the camera...

Here is another thought. Sony has a new camera, the EX1, it does 1080p in 24fps with interchangeable lenses (well only 2 lenses that are available for the camera) I know there taking reservation orders but I don't know anything more. I don't even think the camera is actually out yet, but it might be something worth waiting for.

All in all, I would recommend an XL2, over all of the cameras above, except a RED. I haven't had ANY problems with it, I get total control over the image and it has interchangeable lenses. Its a great buy, and you wont regret buying one at all. Its on the heavy side, and doesn't have a big LCD screen. It has a eye piece which flips open to reveal a tiny LCD. I had one shot where it was awkward to use my camera, you cant rotate the screen. But other than that, go with an XL2. I have cheap Coleman lights I bought at a Home Depot that give nice lighting results I'm happy with. Even if you don't color correct with fcp, it still looks great. It does 24fps, with 1/48th shutter speed, which mimics the "film look" very well. You have so many options with the camera to give it a film look, its almost overwhelming.

If you have any other questions, let me know. I hope I'm of some help, PM me if you have any other questions; I'd be more than happy to talk on the phone with you about cameras, movies, or just film stuff in general!!!

Nathan

Canon XL2

Canon XL2

Yes, those Canon lenses are great. I have a XL1, XL2 and GL2. All of these cameras make great pictures. I agree, Good lighting, composition, production design, costumes, locations, use a tripod, always use a tripod and always use a tripod all of the time, all are more important than 24p or frame modes. Use complete manual exposure and focus and don't use the zoom while shooting.

I completely and wholeheartedly disagree with the xl2 comments. I love the camera, and have used it on short films and movies, would use it again and again, but I don't think anyone should tout it as the end all be all... that's just irresponsible! The HVX200 is a great camera that gives great images despite its short comings, and the king snake of all DV camera wars is the DVX100 vs the XL2 (although not mentioned here, the DVX has features that simply crush the XL2 despite it's short comings). Now, once again, I love the XL2- that being said, I bought a DVX100A and also use a DVX100B for my film projects for simply superior picture quality, smaller footprint, ease of use, and beautiful 24p. I ran my tests and tried to match DVX footage to XL2 footage... to me, not even close.

I say this to say that you really shouldn't make sweeping comments with out justification. I would pick up an XL2 in a heartbeat, but only if there was no DVX around...

the Other-Psied

ps- the options that were given are applicable to any camera in the world, the EX1 has a fixed 14x Fujinon lens, and lenses for the xl2 are priced at about $1300 on the low end and EF adaptation results in x7.8 magnification or something!

I second the DVX100 if miniDV is the only option. No, it's not canon optics, it's Leica optics! which are really good too.

I agree the DVX100 has good lens and if your looking a simulation of film, the DVX100 will do that (color and black levels) well. But for the work I do I need to put the camera on shoulder and many times I need every bit of the Xl2 20x lens.

Network Sponsors

Back