For: Directors who need help picking the right MUSIC

J

jnewman

Hello, this post is geared towards Directors who would like help putting the right, or best possible, music in their films. Music can really enhance a film, as you all probably know, so it's a very important aspect of the post-production process. For example, just think of The Full Monty and how perfect that Randy Newman song was in the end--I gaurantee that one song is why Anne Dudley won the Academy Award for Best Music that year, and she didn't even compose it. But she had a vision and knew how important that song would be, so she got it and was extremely successful. On the other hand, I can think of several films I've seen where the music was cheesy or not very creative, and for that reason, I could not take the film seriously. I guess my point is that for a director with a vision, I am sure that music is part of that vision. However, accomplishing what one envisions can be hard to execute if a director does not know a lot of musicians. That's where a Music Supervisor comes in.

A Music Supervisor acts as a mediator between Production Teams and Music Teams (composers, orchestrators, engineers, copyists, etc). A Mus Supervisor can participate in a spotting session w/ a director (when the director decides where he/she wants music and what kind or why) and then suggest ideas for source music that would be appropriate. Most importantly, a Mus Sup can research composers and try to find the perfect match, someone who will understand the Director and provide really great music.

I am currently a music student/pianist about to graduate from college and would absolutely love to do music supervision in film work. I would like to meet talented, young, passionate directors who have the drive to make it in the industry as much as I do. I have a strong background in music history (from antiquity to current) and repertoire and have studied film music extensively. In fact, I come from a big family of film composers so I know what it takes. I think the most frequent kind of success I hear about in the film/music industry is of partners or teams (think young Spielberg and John Williams) who start out with nothing but work together until they hit it big. That's what I'm hoping to do because I think music is so important in the movies.

Network Sponsors

Back